Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Music and me

I have another blog, Soundtrack. I occasionally post songs on it. Song for the day. The song pretty much lets you know how I was feeling at that time.

Music is so much a part of my life. Every time I feel strongly about something, there is always a song to match the moment. I can’t imagine life without music.

There are so many times when I am all choked up with emotion and I feel like no one could ever feel the way I do at that moment. But then I hear a song blaring on the radio, and someone is singing about the exact same feelings I have. I just shake my head and wonder.

It still surprises me to find that human experience is, after all, human experience. But it somehow comforts me. It’s good to know you are not alone in your pain, or joy, or loneliness, or excitement.

I mourned my aunt with the help of Josh Groban’s To Where You Are. This guy, without his knowing it, helped me through my pain.

Cheesy, and embarrassing to admit, as it is, I wallowed with Mariah Carey’s My All after my first breakup. Pined after this crush and that with Annie Lennox’s Waiting in Vain. Dreamed about forever with someone along with Bonnie Bailey’s Ever After. Cried my eyes out with Siljie’s Fall when that forever didn’t come to pass.

On my happy days, I alternate between Katrina and the Waves’ I’m Walking On Sunshine, Corinne Bailey Rae’s Put Your Records On and Juice’s Best Days.

Billy Joel’s Vienna gets me thinking. Diana Ross’ Do You Know Where You’re Going To keeps me thinking.

When I feel lonely as hell, Remy Zero says the words I cannot say with his Save Me.

I even think up theme songs for other people. I keep insisting to Karen that Breathe's How Can I Fall is the perfect song, not for her, but for the men in her life. I used to tease my sister endlessly with Ariel Rivera's Getting to Know Each Other. She hated it.

I previously wrote about this rollercoaster love I’m on, and so the songs I identify with are as varied as can be. From the classic Fascination by Nat King Cole to pop sensation Gwen Stefani’s 4 In the Morning. From confident with Mary J. Blige’s Be Without You to confused with Tina Arena’s If I Didn’t Love You to content with Van Morrison’s Someone Like You and happy with Kaskade’s Never Ending.

The songs are really never ending. For as long as I live I shall be finding songs to keep me company. It’s the only way to keep me sane! :)


p.s. Maybe one day, when they make a movie about my life, they won’t need to worry about the soundtrack, because I’m already putting it all down for the record. Hahahaha.

No comments: