Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Adventure Weekend Part 2

After a short but relaxing stay on Camiguin Island, we were ready for a fun-filled adventure in Cagayan de Oro.

Day Three

We didn't wake up so early this time. We were rushing to get to the port in time for the 11 o'clock ferry back to the mainland. We got there on time, but the ferry didn't leave on time. Karen's mom was already waiting for us on the other side way before we left the port.

I really have to give a shout out here to Kar's mom and bro. Tita and Ken: you guys are great! We can't thank you enough for making our trip so much more fun and smooth!

We were taken straight to the Macahambus Adventure Park. There we took a walk on the Skybridge, 150 meters above the ground. It was much scarier than I thought it would be. To get back, we took the Zip Line, flying down 12o meters of rope over rocks, water and trees. Total adrenaline rush. I wanted to do it again, but we had to rush to get ready for our cave adventure.

Trekking, rapelling and spelunking all in one. For the first time for all of us. But we completed it in two hours instead of the three it was supposed to be. I felt like Super Woman afterwards. A very stinky Super Woman. We came out of our caving adventure alive and quite proud of ourselves, but covered in mud and bat shit. And I did it all in slippers. Yes, pretty little light-duty beach slippers. Whew! I'm giving myself five stars for that.

The sad part is that we didn't have photos of this one great adventure. They run out of dry bags so we couldn't take any cameras. Boo.

Tired and aching all over, we booked ourselves for another adventure, worked our way through a great big buffet dinner, stopped for a relaxing Thai massage, and happily settled into our rooms at the Mallberry Hotel. Good hotel everyone. :)

Day Four

This was the day I looked forward to the most. Whitewater rafting, yeah!

Our guide Sky picked us up early at the hotel and after picking up some other adventure-seekers in town, off we went up the mountains and down again to the great big Cagayan River.

We slathered on sunscreen, lots and lots. Some guy came up to me and offered to pay me for some lotion. Maybe I should have let him pay me, haha.

Aries, our guide, briefed everyone on the rules – basically what to do if you fall off – and we pushed off.

I don’t know how to begin to tell you how much fun it was. The sun was high in the sky, the river banks on both sides were lush and green, the breeze ever present. We passed fourteen rapids all in all. And each time we went through one, a nervous scream, a shout of exhilaration or a joyful laugh would erupt from one of us.

“Playing”, as Aries called it, was the most fun of all. At one point, he told us to paddle in such a way that the raft went in circles, on and on, until we got out of the rapids. I wanted to do it again, but I guess it was safe to do that only at that particular spot.

We finished the course shortly after noon. We would’ve wanted to tarry awhile and have lunch by the river, but we had to rush again to reach the hotel before check out time.

And thus our four-day adventure ended. We had lunch and dropped by the Kagay Whitewater rafting office for our photos and proceeded to the airport. We were almost late for the plane (we had to get those photos!) and were the last to board.

Tired but happy.

Oh, I just heart CDO. Good food, great adventure, warm, generous people. I’m definitely going back. :)

p.s. I have more photos here:

1 comment:

MACKAY said...

=) you really had fun, huh? =)