Monday, June 23, 2008

The Beautiful Game

(This is a bit late, but I just have to write about it.)


Friday night we watched the game Turkey vs Croatia. What a game! The Turks are now officially the comeback kings of Euro 2008. :)

The game went into extra time 0-0, and it seemed to be remaining that way towards the end. I was looking forward to the penalty shoot out when tragedy struck. Croatia scored with a minute left! My heart dropped. I couldn't believe my eyes. I wanted to go home.

I stopped watching the game to send a mournful message to my friend when out of the corner of my eye I saw Rustu kick the ball right down to the Croatian box right in front of Semih Senturk who quickly sent it sailing into the net. I couldn't believe my eyes all the more. Did they just do it again?!?

A bit teary-eyed with relief and disbelief, I hugged Jay with glee, and I swear I saw a bit of a glint in his eye as well. Hahaha.

Again it was just the three of us in the quiet sports bar. But before I knew it Sarah was calling from Singapore where she and a bigger bunch of Turks were also watching the game, and we all got to screaming about how unbelievably wonderful it was.

Unbelievable. Wonderful. Beautiful.

The Turks went on to win the penalty shoot out, with the Croatians so obviously demoralized. I forgave Rustu for allowing that first goal to happen. I loved him again. Along with Altintop, Arda and Senturk who made the goals. And Hakan who is just so cute. All of them.

It was 5.30 in the morning, soft rain was falling.

We walked home happy.

No comments: