Monday, June 18, 2007

Jazz overdose

I guess you can only listen to so much jazz.

My friends and I got to Sofitel for the Jazz Festival around 7.30pm. By midnight we were in a rush to leave. Not that the performances were bad. I loved the UST Jazz Band, Sino Sikat?, Brass Munkeys, and Thomas Enhco and the Jazz Angels.

More on the French jazz act (from the rfi musique website):

With his round baby face and his unruly curls, 18-year-old Thomas Enhco has the face of an angel – and the fingers of an angel, too! The young musician, who trained at the “Centre International des Musiques Improvisées” set up by the renowned French violinist Didier Lockwood, handles his chosen instruments with disarming dexterity and ease.

Thomas Cohen – his stage name Enhco is backwards slang for Cohen – is a multi-talented prodigy, equally at home playing violin, piano or Fender Rhodes guitar. In his short career to date, young Thomas has worked with the ‘crème de la crème’ of the international jazz world including guitarists Mike Stern and Martin Taylor and drummer Bill Cobham. Didier Lockwood invited young Monsieur Enhco to perform at the Juan-les-Pins jazz festival when he was just 9 years old, and since then he has appeared at many of the world’s other leading jazz festivals (Marciac, Vienne etc.).

Love!!!

My friends and I were up on our feet during the performances of the groups I mentioned above. Sadly, we were the only ones grooving to the music. I don't know what was up with the crowd but they sure weren't a dancing bunch. Even with all that free wine. Strange.

But. Inasmuch as we had a great time listening to those acts (listening is the word as the stage was too low for us at the back to see much of the performers), by the time Verni Varga got to performing, we were tired. I had a headache! Now, whether I got the headache because of Verni Varga or because I had listened to too much jazz by the time she came on is debatable. :P

Anyway, we left by midnight. I am sure there were more interesting performances but we really couldn't stay longer. I guess we should have been there much later, as the better acts started around 9pm. Oh well.

Guess it's true, what they say. That too much of even a good thing can be a bad thing. :)

But I will still be at the next Manila Jazz Festival. Although I promise to arrive late.

No comments: