Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Random thoughts, Random acts

It's the birthday of one of my sisters today -- sibling number 5. :) Happy birthday Maisie!

It's also the birthday of Jose Rizal. I wonder how many people care. But for sure my boss the Ambassador does. He's a fan of Rizal and his works, particularly his writings. It's funny how he, a foreigner, seems to care more about Rizal than I do. Yikes.

****

I used to think that the chances of my having a long-term (meaning more than 5 months at least) relationship with anyone were about one in a million, and yet here I am. I can't believe I've been going out with Jay for a year now. How fast time flies.

****

The other night, I was wondering why traffic was moving so slowly along Kalayaan. A little later, I saw the reason: a mentally retarded girl was sitting in the middle of street and cars had to merge in one lane to avoid her. What struck me was that no one was helping her -- someone could have easily led her away from the street to the curb. But heck, who am I to say that? I didn't help her either. I was more preoccupied with getting to my destination.

But there are some good people out there.

A few weeks back, I was waiting for my sister to pick me up at Shell at the corner of EDSA and Buendia. Another crazy girl was roaming around the station. I saw the guard approach her and take her by the arm. I thought he was going to ask her to leave the area. But lo and behold, he took her to the Select shop and gave her a seat outside. Minutes later, an attendant came out of the shop with a cupcake and a glass of water for the girl. The guy even opened the cupcake for her when she couldn't figure out how to do it herself. Aww.

It's always nice to see random acts of kindness. It makes you believe that, quoting from the Desiderata, with all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. And it makes you want to be a better person. :)

No comments: